Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Time Enough - a poem

Time Enough

“When God made time, he made enough of it.”
            Good Earth tea bag


Perhaps on the seventh day
when God rested, he had not
yet considered that there

would be modems and email.
Could he have foreseen error 17099?
Did he know of null paths? Could

he anticipate the long, long wait while
the Microsoft phone lines connect
to India and reconnect to Novia Scotia,

where a stuttering agent named Andrew
eventually answers my call only
to tell me that the case number

I’ve been assigned does not exist?
God surely didn’t think all this would all happen
as my two-year-old daughter wakes

up from her nap, early, and needs to pee.
Immediately. Surely he did not plan
on my neighbors arriving to pick up

some things just as Andrew walks
me through Accounts and Tools
and Preferences. But he probably did

send Rumi, who pushes me from
the keyboard with an easy grin and says,
“When the moment cracks open, ecstasy

leaps out. You will come to see
that all evolves us.” And he hangs up
on Andrew and leads me to the window

to see how the snow is still falling
as it has been all day. And the field
deepens. The little girl, untended, cuts

my to do list, of course, into tiny pieces
and throws them around the room.
You can’t do much but laugh then,

and make some hot tea,
dark and full with Indian spice.
Another day. Another night.


*with Rumi quotes from Daniel Ladinsky’s translation of “That Lives in Us”

By Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer, Poetess Extraordinaire (http://ryezome.wordpress.com/)

No comments: