Monday, January 24, 2011

The Trail - a poem



A poem that flowed from my hike today on this beautiful afternoon.

The Trail

As I wound my way up, down
around the mountain, metranome
of sole to stone and rhythm of creaking
leather, weather teasing with soft,
white flakes, in the midst of blue-grey
evening skies, a slideshow began.

Life flashing before my eyes, not
because I was anywhere nearer to death
but  so alive, vital with the pulsing
of memory after memory after memory,
everywhere all at once, and nowhere
but the mountain holding tight to my feet.

The crunch of day-old snow in shadow,
familiar feel against the rubber of
my boots, and suddenly the show began.
Now I am in the shadow by that lake
just outside of Durango, and now the trek
15,700 feet, rainbows of prayer flags

flapping, now on the descent and the crack
of ice breaking into the drama of avalanche,
tremors under foot, now on the rim peering
into Canada from Mt. Rainier, now soaring
in freefall 10,000 feet above ground waiting
for altimeter to signal my ripcord pull,

now in my beloved’s arms, but this a memory
still to come, this one different, a peace
palpable that I have yet to know in the embrace
of another, waiting for me just over the mountain
just at the end of another chapter, the beginning
of yet another segment of this beautiful journey.

©Heather Barron

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Beautiful as always - my talented daughter, I revel in your wondrous way with words! Love Mom